Friday, October 7, 2011

Post 11 - Let’s Play ‘Sarah Says’



The procedure is done and the offending tissue removed. Everything went well. The doctor will probably call you in 3 to 4 business days with the results of your biopsy. 

Until then, the name of the game is recovery. 

You will probably not remember waking up after surgery, or putting on your sports bra (how the nurse gets that spandex thing over my shoulders without lots of screaming, I’ll never know). You might remember being led back to the “special” waiting area (probably not), or sitting while you “wake up” (not likely). You might recall being loaded into a car (doubtful), or the drive home (not a chance). 

All in all, you probably won’t regain real consciousness until you are back home in your own bed, or tucked up comfortably on the couch. That’s fine. For the best. 

Once the majority of sleepy medications wear off, I always have the sensation that my chest feels abnormally large, or thick, or warm, or all of the above.  Basically, my body knows something major has happened internally, but it’s not sure of what. 

Everyone’s pain tolerance is different; therefore I won’t get into how much pain medication you should or should not take. But know this:
  • Narcotics often make you constipated. If you need it, send your guardian out for stool softener. (I ease my embarrassment by taking solace in the knowledge that someone else, not me, had to make the trip to the drug store for poo medicine.)
  • Narcotics also make you itch. All over. At least they do me. I have no advice on how to fix this, I just wanted to complain.
--
Next Post 10/14:  YOU WILL BE AWKWARDLY SORE

--
Question:  Any post-surgery tips and/or advice from your own experience?

3 comments:

  1. Am loving the blog and tips. Much of your advice helped with my surgery, even though it was a much different procedure.

    Re: narcotics.

    First, ha at "poo medicine". While the guardians are out picking that up, they may as well stock you up on your feminine products, because you KNOW that old lady will come visit exactly when you are at your most incapacitated.

    In regard to the itchies, for me they started to go away after a few days. I'd try a benadryl if you aren't already completely zonked from the pain meds, see if that helps.

    And please do yourself a favor and eat something every time you take your narcotics. I tried to test out taking my morphine half an hour after eating, and was rewarded with uncontrollable vomiting and a trip to the ER. After that I always had a cup of natural cinnamon applesauce with my meds, worked perfectly. Not even a touch of nausea after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benadryl - brilliant!

    Bridled, so glad the tips have helped. Food with narcotics is a really good point, thank you.

    ReplyDelete